Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sailing's Smooth. Flying, not so much...

Well, am on the ground in South Africa, and set up at my home base in Pretoria.

Made Delta flight out of Atlanta as a standby, and am still standing by for my luggage, which didn't make the flight. At least I didn't specifically ask the gate agent in Atlanta (oh wait, I did) if my bag, which I could see out the gatehouse window sitting on the tarmac, would make it on the plane. He, of course, assured me it would. Right. They'll be sending my luggage tomorrow night on the same flight number, so I guess I'll be buying my first World Cup souvenir, a jacket, first thing Friday morning. From there, to the Stadium Media Center to secure my credential, then, off to get a local cell phone for basic in-country communication.

Bob Ley and about 15 ESPN tech crew were on my flight, as were a number of other US and Mexico supporters. There was not an empty seat on the plane, and the ride is, well, a LONG one (three movies - Valentine's Day, Public Enemies, and Invictus -, two meals, a snack, and two short naps). It's starting early, with play still a week away.

Short post for now, am going to try to lay back down and get a bit more rest.
More soon.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it OK....gotta love the baggage crap... the airlines just can't get it right even after, say, DECADES OF PRACTICE! Have fun and keep the info and pics coming....
    B.
    P.S. Buy a fright wig and wear it at the games so we can spot you on TV, whoops, maybe you don't really need one, already scary enough...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Perry,
    Well, I didn't manage to make it as #1 comment maker to your blog -- thus sparing you a heart attack. Still, finishing #2 to Bill Barker's pretty good. (Hope I don't have to say "Still finishing #2 to U.S.A. is pretty good" on the 12th.)
    Glad you at least made it, and hope you're reunited with your baggage and enjoying cool winter weather.
    Best wishes,
    Roger Press

    ReplyDelete